Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Foxen 2002 Sea Smoke Vineyard Blocks Q & U - Clones 667 & 115, Santa Rita Hills, Pinot Noir

Yeah... Tonight we popped open a bottle of Pinot Noir from one of my favorite wineries in Santa Ynez Valley, Foxen. I only purchased 2 bottles to start with and the first one we consumed back in December of 2004, and we were semi impressed and decided that it seemed like it would improve with age. Tonight it was time for bottle number 2, and what an improvement it was!

The Foxen 2002 Sea Smoke Vineyard Blocks Q & U - Clones 667 & 115 Pinot Noir was aged in 70% new French Oak for 16 months prior to bottling, unfined and unfiltered. 230 cases made.
It has a beautiful dark red/purple color in the glass. On the nose a complex array of amazing red and black cherry with blackberry, raspberry, and a touch of tobacco hits you. Taking your first whiff and then tasting it the wine express red cherry, dark raspberry and nice touch of spice on the palate. The acidity is plentiful and the tannins are soft with that nice edge to it to make sure you notice it's presence. For being aged in 70% new oak I can't really say that the oak is a major component of the wine, and that suits me perfectly.

I REALLY think this is an outstanding bottle of Pinot from the Santa Rita Hills. I wish I had another one or two. Unfortunately I can not find a single site online that carries it... But just so you have an idea about the potential cost, I paid $60 for this bottle in 2004. If you have the good fotune to come across a bottle, grab it and run!


Vote for my blog here and help me stay in top 10 on The Blog Top!
I have finally reached top 10 and I am now striving to reach top 5!

No comments: