Monday, July 09, 2007

The Ojai Vineyard 2001 White Hawk Vineyard Santa Barbara County Syrah


The Ojai Vineyard 2001 White Hawk Vineyard Santa Barbara County Syrah has an incredibly dense, dark red/purple color in the glass, promising me serious fruit.
On the nose it displays blackberry and hint of oak and a floral note I would describe as violet. I expected more heavy fruit on the nose but at this stage I get the feeling that we are dealing with a Syrah made in a slightly more elegant style.
Blackberry, dark cherry, and spice shows beautifully on the palate with some smokey wood at the very finish. Great acidity and perfectly firm, well integrated, tannins gives this medium to full-bodied wine a great balanced feel in the mouth and a long lingering finish. At this point I can confirm that even though is shows plenty of fruit on the palate they are of the slightly more soft and restrained type as this wine turns out to be made in a more elegant style.

This wine was perfect to sip with a few pieces of dark chocolate in front of the movie we watched Sunday night. I wish I had another bottle or two. Looking for it online I actually found a really good deal at Wine-Searcher.com for $33.99 (as I remembered paying $45 for it back in 2004). Try it and let me know if you love it as much as I do.


Vote for my blog here and help me stay in top 10 on The Blog Top!
I have finally reached top 10 and I am now striving to reach top 5!

No comments: