Monday, March 12, 2007

Salomon Undhof 2004 Hochterrassen Kremstal Gruner Veltliner


I haven't had a Gruner Veltliner since I was on vacation in Austria 3 years ago. Yesterday I ran into a bottle at BevMo and picked it up. The Salomon Undhof 2004 Hochterrassen Gruner Veltliner ($12.99) has a medium straw color in the glass. Fresh green apples on the nose with a hint of tropical fruit and citrus. The green apple emerges on the palate again with refreshing minerals, and a good amount of crisp, clean acidity.
An ok wine, but there are better Gruner Veltliner out there. I will be reviewing more of them as summer approaches.
When it comes to food pairing, I think this wine would be a good match with spicy Thai food or other Asian Cuisine. I had it with spicy southern style BBQ. Not a great match...
Let me know what you pair Gruner Veltliner with!


Vote for my blog here and help me reach top 10 on The Blog Top
I am now in top 15!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Victoria,

How you been? Hope all is well. I enjoyed checking out one of your you tube wine reviews, by the way. I will take a peek at the recipe you did too. I LOVE gruner veltliner, but i don't know much about it. I tasted that Salomon once, and thought it was okay, like you. My favorite $15 and under GV is the Nigl Kremstal wine. We are doing a blind tasting of GV wines next week, and i will post the results - come take a look mid week. See you later.

Victoria said...

Awesome. I am looking forward to reading the results. I am just like you not to familiar with different good bottlings of this grape so I am very excited about getting some good suggestions.
Cheers!