Thursday, April 12, 2007

Foxen Vineyard 2004 Julia's Vineyard Santa Maria Valley Pinot Noir


I just love Foxen Vineyard from Santa Ynez Valley. They truly make some outstanding wines and tonight I had the 2004 Julia's Vineyard Santa Maria Valley Pinot Noir. I have reviewed the 2003 earlier. Read more about it here.

The 2004 has a bright, medium dark, ruby red color in the glass and shows incredible dark cherries and dark berries on the nose. On the palate, again, that intense dark cherry comes through, with a hint of red licorice, and little else being able to shine trough. Despite of that, it's rich, broad, intense and complex. Medium high acidity and smooth tannins gives this full-bodied wine good balance (tipping toward the ripe cherries). Long fruit driven finish.
Still a tad young though. Lay it down for a couple of years and I think that the ripe fruit will mellow out and give this wine even better balance.

This wine is shipped from the winery to members only. Only 300 cases produced. Looking for it online the only bottle I could find was a magnum (1.5 liters) for $109 at Wine-Searcher.com. If you come across it, grab it!

Vote for my blog here and help me reach top 10 on The Blog Top
I am now in top 13!

No comments: