Friday, April 20, 2007

Rusack 2005 Santa Barbara County Pinot Noir

Rusack was founded in 1995 by Geoff Rusack and Alison Wrigley Rusack. With their dedication to quality they made some drastic changes, most notably the replanting of several vineyards after the 2001 harvest. They currently produce Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Syrah, Sangiovese and a Bordeaux blend.
The 2005 Santa Barbara County Pinot Noir consists of grapes from both Santa Maria Valley and Santa Rita Hills. Both influenced by the maritime climate, and very suitable for Pinot Noir.
In the glass, a bright dark red color with a hint of violet. Ripe red cherry with a hint of herbs, particularly mint, on the nose. Red cherries and ripe raspberry with soft oaky vanilla on the palate, with good acidity as backbone. For $24 both me and my husband thought this was a really good wine.
Find this wine for only $18.95 at Wine-Searcher.com or WineZap.com, or $26 at Rusack's website.

Vote for my blog here and help me reach top 10 on The Blog Top
I am now in top 12!

2 comments:

jorray said...

Hi, Victoria, it's Ray from Spiritofwine. I'm still totally enjoying your postings. I have a travel-related question for you that I couldn't imagine anyone more qualified to answer: my wife and I will be arriving from the East Coast to enjoy a couple of days in Santa Barbara in late May. Are there any wineries and/or restaurants in the area that you would consider "must visits"? Your review of Rideau made it sound like a strong candidate. I'd welcome any further suggestions. (Ok to respond by email if that is preferred - jorray at gmail) Thanks in advance!

Victoria said...

Hi Ray! I'll be happy to send over some suggestions. I am actually leaving in not to long to spend the whole day wine tasting in the Sierra Foothills/El Dorado Hills. So I am booked up today, but I'll email you some ideas tomorrow!
Cheers!