Thursday, May 17, 2007

Kara's Cupcakes in San Francisco

My sister-in-law, Kristina, searched out Kara's Cupcakes when visiting San Francisco earlier this week, after reading about this bakery at DailyCandy.com. Knowing me and my addiction for sweets she brought home some of the goodies for me to taste.
Kara's Cupcakes are baked from scratch daily at their bakery at Scott Street. All of the ingredients are locally sourced, and many of them are organic.
They feature 14 kind of cupcakes on their website, 10 "regular" ($3 each) and 4 filled cupcakes ($3.25 each). I got to taste three of the regular ones.
Ghirardelli Chocolate: This is a chocolate cupcake topped with chocolate frosting. The cake is really moist and light in texture and the topping has a delicious, creamy,sweet, chocolate taste. Next up was the Chocolate Velvet: Chocolate cupcake with a bittersweet chocolate butter cream. If the Ghirardelli Chocolate was great this one was amazing, as it has a more intense, less sweet chocolate flavor. The cake is still super moist but the butter cream is just more intense in chocolate while maintaining the creaminess. A perfect treat for a chocoholic like me!
Last but not least, Banana Cupcake: This cake is just like a banana bread on steroids. The texture of the cake is a little bit more dense from the banana, but never the less really moist. It has a great banana flavor without all the heavy spices usually found in a banana bread. Topped with a smooth, rich cream cheese frosting, this one is home run.

I am not a cupcake connoisseur but I feel pretty confident saying that these are all high quality, way above average, delicious cupcakes. This bakery is a must-stop-by for me next time I am in San Francisco! I am dying to try the Fleur De Sel: Chocolate cupcake with caramel filling topped with a ganache frosting and Fleur De Sel. Tell me that doesn't sound out of this world...

Vote for my blog here and help me reach top 10 on The Blog Top
I am now in top 11!