Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Duck Pond Fries' Family Cellars 2005 Oregon Pinot Noir

The Duck Pond 2005 Oregon Pinot Noir is made from grapes grown in the Willamette Valley, with 91% from the south Salem Hills and 9% from the Red Hills. The soil in these vineyards are primarily "Jory" soil, a week volcanic ash and rock type that promotes a low-yielding crop, giving the wine special characteristics.

It shows a clear ruby/purple color in the glass. The nose offers soft fruit and berries with red cherry, raspberry, strawberry, and obvious smokey tobacco aromas.
In your mouth it continues on the more elegant fruit notes with red cherry, raspberry, and here the tobacco and especially the smoke stands out and lingers, way past the fruit is gone, on the palate. It is definitely of the more elegant style with lighter red fruit and berries. I wish this medium bodied wine was a little bit more complex on fruit/berries, which are on the thin side, to stand up better to the smokey aspect of it.

Find this wine at Wine-Searcher.com from $17.49.


Vote for my blog here and help me stay in top 10 on The Blog Top! No longer any need to help me stay in top 10. I need your help to reach top 10 again! Been bumped down to number 11... Get me up there again!!! I miss it...

No comments: