Monday, September 24, 2007

Mesa Grill, New york


After some interruptions I am moving back to our New York trip.
Enjoying Bobby Flay's cooking at the Food Network it was time to visit one of his restaurants. He has quite a few places in New York and we narrowed it down and decided to go to Mesa Grill because of the heavily south western influenced cuisine.

After being seated promptly we ordered drinks. My margarita was surprisingly average and really stiff, my husband's Mesa Fresca on the other hand was a big it. A very refreshing tequila drink with grape and lime juice and a splash of soda. Only last week I watched Boy Meets Grill at the Food Network to see Bobby Flay mix it up. I was very excited to get the recipe... Check it out here.
On to the first course. My husband had the Baby Romaine Salad with Chorizo and Cotija Cheese in a Roasted Garlic Dressing. He loved this relatively light dish with bold, spicy flavor from the excellent chorizo mellowed by the semi soft, milder Cotija cheese. I had the Shrimp and Grouper Ceviche with Tomatoes, Serrano Chiles and Lime Juice. Quite delicious. Fresh seafood with a nice spicy bite to it.
For entree he choose the Sixteen Spice Chicken with Garlic/Mango sauce and Blue Corn Tamale. It looked fantastic on the plate but biting in to it, despite of the sixteen spices, he found it surprisingly dull in flavor and slightly over cooked. My Ancho Chile-Honey Glazed Salmon with a Black Bean Sauce, Tomatillo Salsa and Jalapeno Crema was really good. The salmon was perfectly cooked, juicy and still opaque in the center. All the surrounding sauces adding a great melding of flavors.
We were stuffed at this point and could not bring ourselves to ordering dessert.

Service was friendly and prompt, but just that. The food met my expectations just at the mark, but my husband walked out of there a little disappointed.
Let me know what you think if you have dined here. I am curious to see what your experience have been!


Vote for my blog here and help me stay in top 10 on The Blog Top! No longer any need to help me stay in top 10. I need your help to reach top 10 again! Been bumped down to number 11... Get me up there again!!! I miss it...

No comments: