Thursday, September 06, 2007

Ely Winebar, Dublin

I just came home from a week in New York and I have so much to tell you about the great food and wine we had, but before I go there I wanted to wrap up our England/Ireland trip by writing about a great place in Dublin.

Ely Winebar opened in 1999 and immediately turned into a hot spot, and two other location in Dublin has been opened since. They serve simple, delicious food, made with meat from an organic farm and the produce sourced from local suppliers.

We got seated promptly upon arriving and started of by ordering a bottle of Felton Road 2003 Central Otago Pinot Noir. A great Pinot from New Zealand packed with red cherry, dark raspberry, slight spice, all well balanced with moderate acidity and slightly firm tannins.
For starter I had the Cucumber and Crab with Mango Sauce. Cucumber wrapped around a light crab salad topped with the mango sauce, set around a baby lettuce salad. Subtle flavors marrying beautifully.
The entree of Pea, Mint and Lemon Essence Risotto with baby spinach and prawns were equally good. The risotto was a tad bit over cooked (wish it was a little more al dente) but the great combination of ingredients made up for that.
For dessert I just had to try the Sticky Toffee Pudding as I had never had this before. What a satisfying ending to the meal! Moist cake with a great sticky caramel/butterscotch flavor and sauce topping, served up with a side of vanilla ice cream. Yummy!
Our waiter Tony provided us with excellent service throughout the evening. Thanks Tony!

Me downstairs in the wine bar/dining area.

We all loved this place for its low key atmosphere, great food and service, and if you walk down stairs you will discover a wine bar and more tables packed with dinner guests in a cave like setting. Definitely a place to visit while in Dublin!


Vote for my blog here and help me stay in top 10 on The Blog Top! No longer any need to help me stay in top 10. I need your help to reach top 10 again! Been bumped down to number 11... Get me up there again!!! I miss it...

No comments: