Friday, June 01, 2007

Easton 2004 Sierra Foothills Sauvignon Blanc

When we went up to El Dorado wine country in April earlier this spring I picked up a bottle of this Sauvignon Blanc at the Terre Rouge/Easton winery. Tonight, beeing Friday night, BBQing in the backyard, I thought this would be a great wine to start with as the food is cooking. I reviewed this wine briefly before, after our wine trip. Today I will go a little more into detail.

This wine was cold fermented in stainless steel tanks and then aged in neutral French oak on the lees for 9 months. The majority of Sauvignon Blanc are aged in stainless steel to keep it clean and crisp. The oak, in this case, gives this wine a certain creaminess. It did however not go through malolactic fermentation which gives it the characteristic crispness we usually see in Sauvignon Blanc.

This wine has a clear, light straw color in the glass. On the nose light tropical fruit, pear, citrus and a hint of butter scotch vanilla. On the palate there is citrus, light peach and pear, with a slight round creaminess on the mid palate. The finish approaching, a more crisp and clean taste emerges from moderate acidity, with minerals at the very end.
This wine has a nice roundness while still maintaining it's crisp and refreshing qualities. It lacks a little bit in fruit, but overall I enjoyed it.

You can find this wine from $17.99 at Wine-Searcher.com and WineZap.com. Although a couple of other Sauvignon Blanc comes to mind in this price range, that I enjoy more, this is still a fair price.

Vote for my blog here and help me reach top 10 on The Blog Top
I am now in top 11!

No comments: