Saturday, November 18, 2006

A costly affair (calories that is...)

Being obsessed with wine can mean a lot of extra calories. And on top of that they are so called empty ones...(empty sound good to me, like their less naughty, but I've been told it is quite the opposite). How many calories per glass though? Well, it depends on the wine. Most of the calories comes from the alcohol, so the higher the alcohol level the more calories. Sugar also plays a roll. Sweeter wines contains more calories than dry. In a 5 0z glass of table wine there is around 125 kcal. The US Department of Agriculture has a great little calculator for different foods and beverages. Just search for "wine" and all of the most common varieties will show up. Check it out at www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search and see how guilty you need to feel after that amazing bottle of Seasmoke Southing Pinot Noir... I really do not feel guilty at all when a bottle is that yummy, but... Oops a little bit of track. I guess what you can do to fix the damage is check it out and work out accordingly? As for the Seasmoke, I will go there another day...

3 comments:

GollyGumDrops said...

Does walking down to the wineshop couteract those calories, and could I count a glass of wine a day as a portion of fruit?

Victoria said...

I guess it depends on how long that walk is but I would say ABSOLUTLY! And yes, wine is really just grape juice (+ some extra work) but I would like to think it does... See, we just gor ourselves to glasses of "free" wine per day...

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.